Saturday, January 28, 2012

Let there be Light-New life for old chandeliers

 Updated chandeliers are one of my  favorite ways to add drama and personality to a room.


Here are a few of the Fun-deliers I have created.  
This one was just an old brass one I had gotten for $5 at a garage sale.  I spray painted it turquiose, but it was a little too bright.  I dry-brushed a little bit of black on it to tone it down.  The prisms are some that I had - i just dipped them in black paint and let them "drip dry" :-D
Covered the candleabras with scrapbook paper, and ta-daaaa!!!




This is the chandalier I made for my granddaughter, Brynlee's room.  This one had yellow plastic flowers on it that were so brittle they would just break off if you touched them.  I tried spray paint and that wouldn't work, so then i just dipped them individually into my can of Kilz and hung it outside to drip dry.  I sprayed the rest with white spray paint - covered the candleabras with fabric that matched her bedding and added some pink crystals that were from another garage sale chandelier.

I modified this chandelier with keys that I had spray painted different colors - silver, white, antique brass, etc.
It had hideous globes on it - recycle them.....somewhere else!    

One thing I have learned about chandeliers - it is really hard to get a good picture of them.  If you turn the light on, you SURE can't see it.  Kinda like a mirror - just love taking a picture of a mirror and seeing my reflection in it... yuck.  This one I just spray painted white and covered the candelabras with 3 different coordinating patterns of scrapbook paper.

One thing you don't need to get stumped on - you can make any light fixture into one you can just plug in.  They don't have to be hard-wired in!!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are too cute! Thanks for sharing! I love your re-creations!

    ReplyDelete